Trail Clearing Fun
Date to be confirmed. Meet at the Redwoods Visitors Centre. Longmile Road, Rotorua.
When: Time to be confirmed.
Where: Meet at the Redwoods Visitors Centre. Longmile Road, Rotorua.
Duration: Probably 3-6 hours of work per crew.
Finish time: We will plan for the boat to pick us all up from Hot Water Beach at 3pm.
Tools: We will provide rakes, shears and loppers. Please bring your own in case we run out. Bring extra food and drinks if you need them too.
Rewards: – Free boatride provided plus shuttle transport (if needed), Trail crew t-shirts, picnic lunch and beverages at Hot Water Beach.
Each year, volunteers contribute hundreds of hours clearing tracks along the Tarawera Trail Marathon and 50k course. This is done with the generous support of the Department of Conservation and Lake Tarawera Water Taxis and Ecotours (who provide a free boatride) and local landowners and managers.
– The trail is clear and tidy on race day – so many fewer twisted ankles during the event.
– Benefits all recreational walking and biking users of the trails.
– Wasp control at popular picnic areas.
– Nice clear trails for training runs.
– Free boatride provided plus shuttle transport (if needed).
– Picnic lunch.
Date to be confirmed – Tarawera Trail Marathon and 50k course clearing.
6 x 5 person teams.
– Hemo Gorge Track.
– Purple track near Waiapa MTB carpark.
– Puarenga Stream Track
– Pondy, Green Lake and Blue Lake track areas – includsing Mossy Baja.
– Tarawera Trail start to Twin Streams.
– Tarawera Trail: Twin Streams to Hot Water Beach.
– Tarawera Trail: Twin Streams to the trail start.
– Tarawera Trail:Hot Water Beach to Twin Streams.
We will use boats to make sure everyone gets a boatride either to or from Hot Water Beach – so everyone can be rewarded with a picnic together.
There will be smaller working bees (perhaps 4 to 5 people for 3-4 hours each) working on clearing some tracks immediately prior to race week.